Monday, June 6, 2011

The Divine Invitation Retreat: Follow Up #1: Mother-Daughter Relationships!

To all you beautiful young women that I had the honor and privilege of spending some time with this past weekend - I just want to say thank you. Thank you for your honesty and openness about the issues girls your age are facing. I know it's not easy! I'd like to continue to stay in touch with each and every one of you as well as continue to discuss and grow in the topics we discussed and those you specificically asked about, in greater detail! At the retreat, we had limited time and I'd like to continue praying for you and talking to you as you continue to draw closer to God and dig deeper into your walks with Him.



First, one of the topics we talked about was Mother-Daughter Relationships. We watched the video clip from "Freaky Friday" (that wasn't such a good example of how girls should treat their mothers) and discussed having a Christ-centered relationship that's positive, encouraging, and honoring. You want to respect your Mother and honor her (remember Exodus 20:12?). One of you put a question in for the Q&A Session asking if you should tell your mom if you liked a certain boy. My advice to you then (and still is) that if you're honest and open with your Mother, a bridge of trust will be built. Trust me, in my relationship with my Mom, I found that being open and honest with her about things going on in my life helped build a very strong relationship between us. It's so important to sit down with your mom, spend quality time with her and share what God is doing in your life. Your mom is your biggest cheerleader and your biggest fan and wants to be apart of your life. Girl, she can give you good, godly advice and direct you to the Bible and to Scripture in times of uncertainty in your life. That's why, my dear sister in Christ, I encourage you to respect your mom (or mum as Mrs. Janell said), spend quality time together, talk to her, encourage your Mom (like in the letter I had you write----tell your Mom positive things that you LOVE about her and things that you specifically APPRECIATE that she does).

I'm praying that you would continue to build a Christ-centered, honoring, respectful and positive relationship with your Mom.


Today's Challenge: Don't talk back to your Mom, roll your eyes or get an attitude when she asks you to do something. Work on saying, "I'd love too Mom!" (and no, not in a sarcistic way)....offer to help your Mom make dinner, fold the laundry or simply stop to watch a movie with her! As Exodus 20:12 says, "Honor your Mother...."

Love,
Lizzy
XOXOXO

Next Topics Include: True Beauty, Boys & Modesty


For those who asked, you can order the "Modest is Hottest" gear that was given away Saturday afternoon. Go to: http://www.vocals4god.com/ and click on "Online Store" on the main page.

Do you have any questions that you might have been a little too timid to ask? You can email me anytime: LIZVOCALS4GOD@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed last weekend it was great thank you love madison allen

    ReplyDelete